Tom Mathew Kizhakekattil
(Forwarded by Jose Kalliduckil)
Despite wide protests in USA, it has been asserted by regional Knanaya vicar general, Fr. Mulavanal, that non Knananaya Christians will not be allowed to take part in the retreats and camps conducted for youth by the Detroit Knanaya Regional church.
He made it known to KCCNA that some Knanaya priests are doing things as they like. Probably he was referring to what the Detroit vicar Fr. Ramachanat did by organizing a spiritual retreat for Christian youth, irrespective of their rite. This post is intended to expose the hypocrisy of Fr. Mulavanal in accusing the Detroit KCS and its office bearers of causing the unrest.
Let me review the clarifications given by North American Knanaya region Vikar General for Chicago Syromalabar Arch Diocese, Fr. Mulavanal to KCCNA one by one about the Mixed retreat all over USA.
1. The Knanaya Region never discussed nor made any decision to organize retreats for Knanaya youth, and admit non-knanaya youth for those retreats.
MY QUESTION – THEN WHO CONTROLS THE KNANAYA CHURCH ?
2. It is the prerogative of the local parish priest to organize retreats; hence the priests do not seek, nor require, Knanaya Region’s permission to conduct the retreats.
MY QUESTION – THEN WHO CONTROLS THE KNANAYA CHURCHES IN USA ?
3. Fr. Mulavanal does not approve or support mixed retreats.
MY QUESTION – THEN WHO ORDERED THE MIXED RETREAT IN TAMPA, SAN JOSE, ATLANTA, AND DETROIT?
4. None of the previous mixed retreats were organized with his knowledge. He never took part in the Tampa retreat (KCCNA has confirmed that the retreat organized by the Tampa Knanaya mission was a mixed retreat); in fact he was out of the country during that retreat. With respect to the San Jose retreat also, he was not present at that retreat, and doesn’t have any information regarding its nature.
MY QUESTION – WHO CONTROLS AND OPERATES THE KNANAYA CHURCHES IN USA ?
5. With respect to the planned retreat organized by the Detroit mission, it is a miscommunication from the part of the local association leadership. The Detroit retreat was never meant to include non-knanaya youths. The email from local association was the result of misunderstanding or misinterpretation by the local leaders.
THIS IS A BIG LIE, KCS DETROIT NEVER MISLED OR COMMUNICATED ANYTHING OTHER THAN TRUTH TO THE COMMUNITY. THE DETROIT RETREAT ORGANIZED BY DETROIT KNANAYA CHURCH WAS A MIXED RETREAT WIDE OPEN TO NON KNANAYA YOUTHS AFTER THREE WEEKS OF DEADLINE TO REGISTER FOR THE DETROIT KNANAYA YOUTHS.THIS WAS ANNOUNCED BY DETROIT KNANAYA CHURCH VIKAR /KCS SPIRITUAL DIRECTOR FR. PHILIP RAMACHANAT DURING KCS EASTER CLEBRATIONS ON APRIL 11, 2015 .
DETROIT KCS PRESIDENT EVEN CALLED A SPECIAL KCS EC TELEPHONE CONFERENCE to discuss this Mixed retreat issue in detail ON APRIL 26 at 9.00 PM. "THIS IS THE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH".
6. Fr. Ramachanat, Detroit mission director, has assured Fr. Mulavanal that no non knanaya youth will be allowed to register or participate in the retreat organized by the Detroit mission.
MY QUESTION – IF FR. MULAVANAL DOESN'T HAVE CONTROL OF KNANAYA CHURCHES IN USA,THEN WHAT IS THE VALIDITY OF HIS "ASSURANCE "
7. Fr. Mulavanal also expressed his frustration with respect to the accusations that he condones and supports mixed retreats. He also raised his concern about views in certain quarters that all knanaya priests are anti-kna. He stated that all knanaya priests serving in North America love the community and want to keep our customs and traditions intact.
MY QUESTION – WHAT IS THE ROLE OF FR. MULAVANAL AS A V.G OF KNANAYA REGION? ISHE RESPONSIBLE FOR MAINTAINING KNANAYA COMMUNITY AS AN EXTENSION OF KOTTAYAM DIOCESE IN USA?
Tom Mathew Kizhakekattil